Moonstone is named after the sheen that it shows when it catches the light. Moonstone itself is composed of two minerals from the Feldspar family of minerals: orthoclase and albite.
Moonstone is generally considered an uplifting stone. It is associated with happiness, good fortune, mothering, selflessness, love, and hope. There are several different varieties of moonstone, each with its own purported benefits.
- Blue Moonstone, also known as Cat’s Eye Moonstone, is associated with a clear mind and clear insight. It is used for helping to keep people stable and grounded during meditative or psychedelic experiences.
- Gray Moonstone is used to help people with clairvoyant sight. This is a useful stone to take with you when attempting to commune with spirits or otherworldly beings.
- White Moonstone is associated with the new moon and as such carries similar energies. White moonstone is associated with new beginnings, rebirths, and setting goals.
- Peach / Yellow Moonstone is said to support the heart. It helps to release the hold of the mind, allowing one to live more freely by listening to their heart and its intuitive guidance.
- Rainbow Moonstone is actually a type of labradorite that is contained in a white matrix. Much like a rainbow refracts light, rainbow moonstone can be useful for refracting or diffusing energies in complicated or chaotic situations.
Healing and Folk Uses of Moonstone
Moonstone has long been known as the Traveler’s Stone. It is said to help protect travelers, especially when they are out and about at night. The moon is believed to amplify the powers of the moonstone.
Backpackers, hikers, and campers can keep the stone in their pockets or in their backpacks. Road travelers can also keep a piece of moonstone on their dashboards or in their glove compartment to help ensure safety during late-night driving.
Moonstone is also said to be a stone of nurturing love that opens the heart to compassion, understanding, and acceptance. It is a fantastic stone for mothers and can be useful for all women – especially when they are going through their moon cycle.
Moonstone is also closely associated with love and sexuality. It is believed to help enhance libido by stimulating erotic desires, and it is said to be able to enhance fertility – especially in women. For a couple hoping to conceive a child, it is suggested to wear a moonstone necklace while making love during a full moon.
Moonstone also has some creative properties. It is particularly useful for helping people express their feminine creative energies and for encouraging self-expression. Because of its unique ability to influence and open the heart, it can be a fantastic tool for helping to promote intuitive art.
Physically, moonstone is said to be useful for helping with digestion. It can improve the absorption of vitamins and minerals and help the body dispel toxins. It can help to prevent degenerative conditions and restore the health of skin and hair. And, of course, it’s a good stone for helping women work through PMS cramps and other moon-time issues.